Sun. 10th Nov. REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY
8.00 a.m. Holy Communion
10.00 a.m. Remembrance Sunday Parade Service
10.50 a.m. Act of Remembrance at the War Memorial, Canon’s Hill
11.30 a.m. Family Service
Tues. 12th Nov.
3.30 p.m. Messy Church, in the Church
Wed. 13th Nov.
7.30 p.m. Life Group meets, in the Church
Thurs 14th Nov.
11.00 a.m. Holy Communion, in the Old Church
7.30 p.m. Alpha Course, in The Rectory
Sat. 16th Nov.
12.00 noon ST. JOHN’S CHRISTMAS FAIR, Parish, School & Scout Halls
Sun. 17th Nov. THE SECOND SUNDAY before ADVENT
8.00 a.m. Holy Communion
9.30 a.m. Parish Communion
11.15 a.m. Family Service
12.15 p.m. Baptism:
THIS SUNDAY (10 November) IS REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY
Our main service will be at 10.00 a.m. when we hope to be joined by some of the local cadets, members of the TA, scouts & guides and leaders of the local community. We’re always delighted that there’s a very full church for this special parade service and we look forward to welcoming everyone who would like to come along. We suggest you come early to be sure of a seat. After the service in Church we will move out to the Memorial (on the corner of Canon’s Hill and Coulsdon Road) for a short Act of Remembrance at about 10.50 a.m. and the laying of wreaths. We hope you will be able to join us for what is very much a community time for remembering with gratitude those who lost their lives in the service of the nation and especially those from the local area.
FAMILY SERVICE… on Remembrance Sunday will start at the later time of 11.30 a.m. to ease congestion and access to the Church following the service at the Memorial. This popular service takes place every Sunday and is usually at 11.15 a.m. All families with young children – from babies to grandparents – and the young-at-heart will find a warm welcome! It’s a very relaxed service with an easy format.
WE STILL NEED LOTS OF HELP WITH ST. JOHN’S CHRISTMAS FAIR –
Sat. 16 November
– SO PLEASE see what you can do to give us a hand because we really do need everybody’s help to make another successful Fair and boost Church Funds!
1. SOME HEALTHY EXERCISE? There are still bundles of leaflets waiting at the back of the church to be popped through the letterboxes of all the homes in the parish. They’re in marked bundles, so please could you take one (or more) perhaps for your road (or part of it) or a road near you, or one you often walk along and deliver the leaflets in the next few days? This is our main form of publicity so we’d be grateful to get as many leaflets delivered as possible. Thank you to those who have already taken bundles and delivered them.
2. LEND A HAND? We would love to have your help on the day either running or helping on a stall, making tea for stallholders, manning a door, helping to set up the halls (inc. the evening before) and especially clearing up afterwards. PLEASE pop your name on the board at the back of the church if you could spare an hour or so to help or contact the Parish Office on 01737 552461 or at .
3. TIME to DECLUTTER? Please help us to stock the stalls. A wonderful chance to recycle those gifts you’ve never used which are cluttering up your cupboards and drawers and could be really useful raising funds for the church as well as ► books (particularly paperback novels) ► toys ► jewellery ► stationery items ► bottles – from shampoo to wine ► items for tombolas and raffles ► chocolates ► toiletries ► handmade craft items ► cakes ► a really super prize for the Grand Raffle, etc., etc., etc., etc.. We are collecting items in the church from tomorrow Monday, 11 to Friday, 15 November each morning 9.30-12.00 and every afternoon 2.00-4.00. If you have several items and find it difficult to come during the day, please phone the Parish Office (01737 552461) and we’ll arrange to collect them.
4. WE STILL NEED SOME FOOD … PREPARED IN ADVANCE – and help in the kitchen! Could you offer a quiche, a large cake, pasta salad, coleslaw, a dozen home-made mince pies or small cakes, 10 jacket potatoes? Or could you offer an hour on the day to clear tables, wash up or make drinks? Please ring the Parish Office (01737 552461) or email if you could help.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING EVERYBODY ON THE DAY! Fair Poster 2019
TRAIDCRAFT – THE REAL ADVENT CALENDAR
We are now taking orders for this, priced £3.99, which has a free booklet with the Christmas story and a Fair Trade chocolate for each day. There are new Winter Catalogues at the back of the Church which include a modest range of their Charity Christmas Cards (p.62-3) as well as other Christmas items and general stock. Please borrow for browsing. Order as soon as possible from David & Sheila via the Parish Office.
AND COMING SOON … St. John’s ‘Nativity Festival’
Do you have a nativity scene you would like to display or perhaps you are creative and would like to make one? To make this a success we would love local businesses, families, schools, organisations and individuals to help by displaying a nativity scene. This is a great opportunity to take part in a community event whilst being able to advertise your business/organisation. To book your nativity spot or for any further information contact Janice Hollobone on or contact the Parish Office on 01737 552461 (9.30am to 12 noon weekdays before 1st December). NativityFestivalPoster2019
KEEP THOSE PENNIES (& 2p) ROLLING!
Thank you to everyone who has donated their ‘bronze’ coins, either through the wall safe or in bags of all shapes and sizes. You’ll be pleased to know that I’ve already banked over £100! If you would like to join us in the ‘Autumn Bronze Challenge’, 1p or 2p coins dropped into the wall safe in the entrance lobby (slightly hidden by the Messy Church noticeboard) will be earmarked for essential repairs to our lovely Grade 1 listed building. So why not let us have your ‘bronze’ coins – you’ll hardly notice this easy way of helping St. John’s.
Lynn Howell, Parish Treasurer
A very pretty ring was found in the church recently. If anyone has heard of this loss, please ask the owner to get in touch with Churchwarden Tony Tucker, or the Parish Office; and if they can accurately describe the ring we will be very happy to return it.
St Mary & St Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church, Coulsdon
has obtained planning permission to build a new community hall including a youth centre and is holding a fund-raising concert with award winning ‘The Ayoub Sisters Quartet’. You are invited for an event full of popular Western and Egyptian music on Sunday 15th December – 5.30pm at The Cockpit Theatre, Gateforth Street, London, NW8 8EH. Suitable for 10 years+ Free child minding available. Tickets: £35, Concessions for students: £25, from Amin Gorgy Tel: 07789 55 77 48
THANKS from PURLEY FOOD HUB
‘This is just a short note to thank you and your congregation for your recent harvest donation to the food hub. We are extremely grateful for your continued support for local families who find themselves in a time of crisis.’
And the latest news is: ‘Last month was the Food Hub’s busiest October since we started in 2013 with food for 3,069 meals being provided to struggling clients and their families – over 1,000 meals up on October 2018. It was also our 4th busiest month over the past nearly 7 years and the busiest month outside of December and January.
As we continue the build-up to Christmas, please see our November food list (on top of the box in the porch). Cartons of long life whole milk once again top the list, followed by tins of corned beef, chicken and ham, packets of dried / tinned potatoes, and tinned carrots. Also listed are jars of fish paste, small (500g bags of sugar), tins of rice pudding, and children’s chocolate treats. There are also 3 non-food items on the list: toilet rolls, unisex deodorant, and bars of soap.
We remain so very grateful for your continued support, and we thank God for his ongoing mighty provision.’
17th PURLEY SCOUTS TREASURER
17th Purley is a thriving Scout Group, located near Bradmore Green pond. We have almost 100 beavers, cubs and scouts that meet weekly during term time. We require a new treasurer, a very important volunteer role essential for our group to function effectively, managing and monitoring all financial activity. The treasurer will be a trustee on our executive committee which meets regularly to ensure the effective running and development of the group. If you can offer a couple of hours of your time per week and joining as our new treasurer appeals to you, then please contact Mike Garlick by email using Previous experience of financial management or a role as charity treasurer would be great but not essential.
RAFFLE PRIZES ALWAYS REQUIRED
We would be very pleased to receive any suitable items to be used as raffle prizes at our fund-raising events. Your unwanted, unused gifts may be just what someone else would like to win! Please leave any donations with the Parish Office. Many thanks.